International Travel 

The University of Kentucky has resources available for faculty, staff, and students who are travelling outside of the United States for independent study or official UK business. 

These include, but are not limited to: 

  • Professional conferences
  • Research 
  • Presentations
  • Community service
  • Sabbaticals 


If you are traveling out of the country for professional purposes, please be sure to register your travel with the office of International Health, Security, and Safety

Enrolling will guarantee your coverage under the University of Kentucky’s medical insurance policy and evacuation plan at no cost. In the event of an emergency, the University will be able to reach out to employees in affected areas. 

If you are traveling with students in a non-credit capacity, you must register your trip with the UK International Center. Ideally, the registration and review process should begin no later than four (4) months prior to your departure. Refer to instructions on the IHSS site. Traveling with students in a for-credit capacity must be arranged and organized through the Education Abroad office

If you are traveling for personal purposes, please do not use this registration site. However, it is good practice to always make sure someone at work or home is aware of when and where you are traveling.

Independently Travelling Students 

Students travelling abroad who are not enrolled in UK credit directly related to your trip must register travel with the office of International Health, Security, and Safety
This enrollment will give you access to the required UK travel medical insurance and evacuation plan. The cost of this plan for students is $10.50 per week and covers medical expenses, trip cancelation, and other costly emergencies. This charge will be billed directly to your student account. It also allows the University to know where you are, and reach out in the event of an emergency if you are in an affected area. 

Travel Tips

  • Consult a doctor about possible immunizations or precautions to take while traveling to certain areas. UK offers a Travel Clinic for country-specific advice. 
  • Know what type of travel documents you will need and how long they will take. These requirements can be found at the U.S. Department of State
  • The U.S. Department of State and CDC post up-to-date travel warnings and travel advisories.  

If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact: 

Ashley LeBourveau 
International and Graduate Program Specialist
D-530 Dental Science Building 


Make a Gift Your gifts help support the academic, research and patient care missions of the UK College of Dentistry. Make a gift now.